My kind of Spa Day

my team of doctors now that I am in my 50'sMy fifties have been a roll out of brand new physicians. And it has just dawned on me that I should attempt to make all of my appointments in one day. I will call this my Spa Day. I won’t return home until each part of me has been treated, prodded, stabbed and squished. Mammogram-check. Annual physical-check. Blood work-check. Skin check-check. When did it happen that we need so many specialists? Isn’t there someone knowledgeable enough to do it all? It gives me pause that I am a series of disconnected parts to be diagnosed.

I would like to apply the same philosophy to my writing life. My disconnected pieces of writing, from my recently completed novel, to my attempts at poetry and various articles, all need to be gathered together and poked or prodded. I wonder, is there a doctor for this? Is there someone knowledgeable enough (and naïve enough) to take on my body of work and tell me, “Get out now, while you are still partially sane!”

Anyone, anyone? If I call it a Spa Day will you reconsider?

This entry was posted in general and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to My kind of Spa Day

Let’s talk about it over a cocktail!

2. Martha says:

I’m with Samantha!

3. Mary-Jane says:

I believe there was a song written about this disconnect. The hip bone connected to the knee bone and so one. You might have landed on something.

4. Annette says:

Love the new cover shot – another amazing woman with talent – Anna Atkins! First person to publish a book of photographs. How has her name been lost to history?

5. Jennifer says:

Anyone, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Chuckle, chuckle. I think I understand………I have Traveling Arthritis. I don’t think that’s a true medical diagnosis, but this is how it manifests: I have very flat feet, and if I go awhile barefoot, or in shoes without orthotics, pain develops on the top of each foot, causing me to limp. When I limp, I throw my body out of balance, and one or the other knee hurts. By favoring that knee, I cause pain in my hip and/or lower back. I rub some Ben-Gay into the affected area, and the pain obligingly disappears, popping up in one of the other areas.
    Once, when the pain in my Achilles tendon was particularly bad, I saw my PCP, who immediately referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon. By the time I walked into his office, the Achilles pain was a distant memory, but he capably checked it out anyway. When I told him the pain had moved to my knee, he said, “Oh, I’m an ankle specialist, I can’t examine your knee – BUT I can refer you to a knee specialist.” I could see where this was heading. What I want is a doctor who will look at my entire lower half and determine the basic cause of the pain. OR, in this age of replacing body parts, can I get an entirely new lower half? Perhaps Angelina Jolie’s or Jennifer Lawrence’s?
    My works of writing also parallel this. In an upstairs bedroom are three or four computer-paper boxes, neatly labeled. They contain 3-ring binders of writing-class notes and magazine articles, original stories by many classmates, and plastic-sleeved pages of published articles and stories. There are manila folders of poetry. My own stories, plus accompanying copies of them edited and proofread by other writers, lie in piles. My two unfinished books, one of old school anecdotes and another of poems, have no specific organization, because I can’t find the common threads that will hold them together. It’s all there: the raw material, titles, and a clear view of the finished product, sitting there on the bookshelf. But no surgeon to analyze the entire “lower half”.
    Congratulations re: Gracie and Dalton. There must be some Doctor genes in you. 😀

7. Karen Konicki says:

I know I’m alittle late in commenting, but I just saw this.
    After years of not having health insurance, I have gotten into a
    Few habits to keep me out of the clutches of the ” specialists”.
    One of the biggest ones is placing a tennis ball between myself and a wall and rolling against it to massage any sore or tight muscles . You can pinpoint the exact spot , and know how much pressure to apply. I’m on my feet a lot, and rolling the tennis ball over my legs helps relax them too. The best time to do it is before going to bed. Your body is relaxed, aches are relieved, and you fall asleep in 2 minutes.the next morning you wake up and wonder, ” did I really haul 300lbs. of laundry up and down 4 flights of stairs yesterday? Give it a try– no specialist visit, no prescription, just you, a wall, and a tennis ball!!

I think that they should give out that orange water and rub your feet at the doctors office. Or at least give you a quick facial.