Forecast: Fiction. A February Revolution of another kind

Blizzard Waves 2013This Blizzard of 2013, affectionately called Nemo, has blown into town and is howling at me. The strange forms taking shape outside my window created by wind and snow, could only be imagined, until now. My house is Varykino palace-turned-ice castle in Dr. Zhivago. I am Yuri writing my famous works in the dead of a Russian winter as the wolves wail.

This February Revolution of sorts is intended to sweep out the old and bring in the new order. It’s easy to imagine my life as a Russian novel, house-bound from five foot drifts, blaming everything on Tsar Nicholas II and the Romanovs. Maybe, when all is said and done, something will have altered in my life. Probably not a new government, but something incremental, measurable, in how I see.

This storm is a gift, with perverted elegant-but-evil curves, at once tragic and beautiful. To stop and see and not to curse, to watch and not to speak, to have awe and to interpret, and simply be aware is a start. When I think of Russian novels, I think of the light and dark, the beauty of the writing, the tragedy of circumstance…much like the twisted forms out my window.

I count myself fortunate to experience nature in all its schemes. I hope you do too.

This entry was posted in general and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Forecast: Fiction. A February Revolution of another kind

beautiful, Sally – snow, like fire, has that eerie duality – it is so beautiful, yet can be so deadly

2. Trudy Cohen says:

For me, snow is no longer just part of a beautiful winter landscape, and making it possible to ski and snowshoe. I worry about power outages, driving on slippery roads, and the cost of snow removal; things that never concerned me before. I suppose advancing age and living alone, have change my thinking somewhat, but I’m not ready for Florida yet. After all, spring is on it’s way.

3. Linda Morris says:

We wanted to welcome you to Maine in style!

4. Sally – your writing here is exquisite. The images, the inner reflections – I loved it. (Russian literature with its light and darkness was a passion of mine, too) Brave voice.

5. Jenny Menning says:

Beautifully written, Sally, and I loved the snow-scape picture. I loved your reference to Dr. Zhivago. I think that is my all-time favorite movie.

Yes-beautiful, exciting nature – love a calm beautiful day as much as a fierce angry storm. Nemo was one angry storm!! Keep making us think and appreciate Sally – we need you!!

I somehow missed this blog posting until today. As a snow lover, I do want to comment. First, your photo and picturesque descriptions are beautiful.

I was reminded of the memorable scene in Dr. Zhivago where, before our eyes, the stark and piercing frost-covered window pane transformed itself into a view of spring daffodils. What I like best about being in tune with nature is the same reason it disappoints me: During a blizzard I worry that our grown children have to drive home from work on slippery roads, that our grandson in college might decide to go out in unsafe conditions, that my husband will have to spend an evening without television (horrors). I anticipate filling buckets and pots and jugs with water so we will have enough to drink, cook with, flush the toilet, while the power is off. I know my eyes will burn from trying to read by lantern light. I’m concerned for our elderly neighbors and the workers who have to be out repairing the damage. But while the storm is raging I love to watch the snow swirling. Cozy in the warm wood-heated house, I enjoy the howl of the wind and the rattling windows, and the unidentified thunks from outside. I’m anxious to walk the newly-groomed snowmobile trails into silent woods after the storm. I make sure my camera batteries are charged for the all-important photos. And then….within hours after the storm, the snow has settled a bit, and it’s marred by boot tracks and loose bird seed and blackened chunks thrown onto the lawn by passing plows. A snap of my fingers, and all that wildness of nature is gone. I’m relieved that the kids are home safe, that the lights are on, that I can drive to town, that the sun is shining, but I already miss nature’s violence. 🙂

8. Mary-Jane says:

Love the writing and the pictures. Age, however, has many a compensation. I’ll enjoy reading about winter weather from my warm Florida balcony.

9. Nancy MacDonald says:

Sally ….. Love Dr. Zhivago … an old highschool sweatheart (I think you knew him) made me a jewelry box that plays the theme song…… it is on my dresser today!!!! Great article ….. I love living in New England and the four seasons (we used to have)… beautiful picture and description of the snow drifts