A Key Point

Keys

Keys (Photo credit: glen edelson)

A few days ago I dug into my purse and realized the key I was looking for was one of maybe 10-15 floating around inside. There were house keys, car keys, p.o. box keys, new ones, old ones, modern plastic square keys, even an old fashioned turn-key which served no functional purpose.

How did I end up here? Is this the life I want to live, opening each locked segment one at a time as I go forward?

Looking at the keys to my new house (14 total/7 for me) got me thinking about how many keys for all of the dwellings I have had over my lifetime. My best recollection makes this house my 20th dwelling in 50 years. Most homes did not come with 7 keys, but lets round it to somewhere in the range of 60 keys, just for homes.
However, we didn’t lock doors when growing up the 60’s and 70’s in the suburbs of Boston. The prevailing story was that if someone wanted to break in, we preferred to have said robber open a door rather than break a window.

So let’s round down to 50 keys in 50 years for homes. (I know. For those of you who follow this blog, I will file this one under fuzzy math.) My brain cramps won’t even consider allowing me to add up the p.o. box keys, car keys, camper keys, lock box keys, bike lock keys, gym lock keys, diary keys, and the all important barbie dream house keys.

Instead, I will wonder about the bigger picture, and if having more keys means more happiness. My dictionary says a key is something that affords a means of access. If so, can I access the key to happiness by having less keys?

How many keys are on your chain?

This entry was posted in general and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to A Key Point

1. Lis says:

Wow, that would require me to actually get up, find my purse by calling my cell phone and then counting the keys on my chain! 🙂 I could be mistaken but I believe I have at the most six keys on my chain yet I can only account for my car key, B’s truck, our home key, our guest house key…so to end the mystery…hold on…I actually have seven key on my MOM’s TAXI key ring…makes make wonder? Do I have a split personality that I don’t know about? Whose homes have I been to lately. Am I HBO’s series, “Tara of the U.S….?” 🙂

2. Sally Sally says:

You are a constant concern, Lis! thanks for checkin’ in.

3. wendy says:

Ok, two keys. One to open the car and drive away in the dead of night, and one to unlock the front door of my house after discovering I left my cash card at home.

4. Martha says:

KEY TO MY HEART Amanda Marie
    I had closed the door upon my heart and wouldn’t let anyone in. I had trusted and loved only to be hurt but that would never happen again.
    I locked the door and tossed the key as hard and as far as I could my heart was closed for good.
    Then you came into my life and made me change my mind just when I thought that tiny key was impossible to find that is when you held out your hand and proved me wrong inside your palm was the KEY TO MY HEART, You had it all along.

I have had no such accumulation of keys. In Maine, I lived in a small house in a rural area for twelve years, and a small apartment for one year. Both, I assume, came with keys – but, being a mere child, I was not given the privilege nor responsibilty for such. At my aunt’s home in Massachusetts, where I lived for two years, there was always someone home. No key needed there. The five dwellings I’ve resided in since were seldom locked; the country people around here are so trustworthy.

Recently there has been a rash of burglaries at our end of town. Several of our neighbors’ homes have been robbed of jewelry and small electronics, indicating, perhaps, that the perpetrators are local and on foot. Therefore, after 71.5 years of trusting folks and leaving the doors unlocked, I am finally feeling the need to lock our door. Pity.

Thinking in another direction……As a student, employee, wife, mother, and friend, I’ve discovered that a positive attitude, with Pollyanna as my model, is KEY to a happy life. Part of that includes a love of music, and singing on KEY – or playing the KEYS of a piano – can contribute to a beautiful, stress-relieving sound. By carefully studying and analyzing any everyday challenge or problem, I can usually discover the KEY to its solution.

Maybe there are more keys on my key ring than I realized.

🙂

I just had the conversation with Dick about locking doors and not wanting people to break in. Still no keys, internet, or phone for my residence. It’s really nice.